CWIN, a pioneer child rights NGO in Nepal and partner of Her Choice alliance member ICDI, has taken different measures to cope with the COVID-19 pandemic. Meanwhile, CWIN continues to carry out the Her Choice programme in the best possible way.
- Youth Empowerment Centers run with all the precautions and safety measures regarding COVID-19. The girls from empowerment centers are trained on COVID-19 response and are engaged in door to door campaigns focusing on COVID-19 and its effect on Child Marriage.
- District coordinators are in regular contact with the local government and the CWIN’s adolescent facilitators from the project communities.
- Emergency relief packets such as food items, soap, sanitizer, sanitary pads and masks were distributed in Her Choice intervention areas. 543 families benefited from the support.
- Different campaigns carried out in the community helped reach up to various groups of people to sensitize those on COVID-19 while still addressing traditional harmful practices that still exist in society. CWIN developed leaflets about the proper way to wash hands and disseminated these in the communities especially among the children. Furthermore, CWIN has developed posters entitled ‘Let’s Talk about COVID-19 with Children’ and disseminated these widely.
- Public Service Announcements broadcasted on child marriage and COVID-19 are broadcast through different FM stations in three districts.
- Child Helplines are extra active during lockdown and continue to provide emergency services to children in need. Child Helpline Makwanpur was successful in stopping a child marriage during lockdown.
- Through community volunteers, CWIN carried out different outreach programmes in communities to make the people aware on issues like child marriage, gender-based violence, sexual abuse and COVID-19 as well.